Maykr is an ongoing archive of blog posts dating from 2005 about art and artists around....but not limited to the Beacon, NY area.


Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Top 10 list features Dia:Beacon

Tyler Green at MAN has included Dia:Beacon's series of Anges Martin exhibits at #8 of his top ten of 2005. This extended focus on Martin's work at Dia has served as a dignified tribute to the artist, giving time to consider the trace of a very long career. For me, the first installment revealed to me a segment of her work I never knew. I've not yet seen the third installment, but I am anxious to do so.

Also at Dia:Beacon, the Sol Lewitt's, 123: All Three Part Variations on Three Different Kinds of Cubes, 1967/2003 has come back on exhibit. The piece has been move to a space adjacent to the Chamberlain gallery, and the result is quite amazing. The Lewitt was originally in a smaller gallery that now houses a wall drawing. The present space is more open and allows for a mesmerizing interaction among the individual units that make up the entire work, and the nearby walls. While attending a gallery talk on Chamberlain in November, I was struck by the dissolution and reemergence of the cubed forms creating a shifting structure, that softly manipulated the feel of the space and gave me a new awareness of an artwork that had originally not impressed me.

No comments: