Pages

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Resource: New York Art Beat.com

File this one under Long Overdue
I sat next to
Aneta Glinkowski at the Artbloggers panel talk back in March. She told me about an endeavor she was a part of that was soon to launch on the web: NYArtBeat.com. NYArt Beat is part of the network that was kicked off with Tokyo Art Beat in 2004. NYArtbeat.com is a catch all chronicling the various art events in NY. There's an emphasis on reader participation and interaction giving site visitors opportunities to share their input by reviewing and recommending events, adding to the content generated by staff bloggers.
The site launched at the end of April, and I've not been able to spend much time on it, although I have created a profile, and I'll be playing around on it this week. There is a lot of utility built into the site, and it seems very friendly to use, particularly so, I imagine, for someone visiting NY, wanting to plan an efficient art viewing trip. When you are viewing the details of an event item, to the side are listings of other exhibits within walking distance of that event and the estimated travel time. Events and exhibits are cross indexed according to venue, type of event, medium. There are also smart lists available for subscription by RSS grouped in categories of most popular, opening soon, closing soon, just opened, free admission, etc., and every listing gives you a constant countdown of the number of days that you still have to see the exhibit. Another great feature is that the listing of events are available by rss, so really, there's no excuse for not knowing what's going on down in the city.
As I said, I'll be diving in more in the coming months, but I definitely recommend checking it out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Another great feature is that the listing of events are available by rss, so really, there's no excuse for not knowing what's going on down in the city." Yeah, that and for those who rather be reminded via email about starting and closing dates, there are email reminders for individual events and favorite venues. We're going to have "openings" smart list to top it all soon. BTW, I recommend you to make your profile public, so we can all follow each other favorites...And, take advantage of the event comments, which get highlighted on the top page. We love to have additional reviews by users and big media linked there.
And then the badges... http://www.nyartbeat.com/resources/doc/badge
And I'm sure I'll think of a few other great functions to recommend as soon as I'm done.
>aneta

cralbert said...

Thanks for checking in Aneta. I'll be looking into the badges this weekend.