Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Charles R Smith Jr booksigning at Barnes & Noble in Poughkeepsie, Jan 31, 1pm.


The Barnes and Noble bookstore in Poughkeepsie will be hosting a book signing for Charles R. Smith Jr.'s latest book "My People." This newly released book features Smith's photographic portraits which act as an environment through which the text of Langston Hughes' poem "My People" floats.
In a release posted on the Fauquier County Public Schools website (Warrenton, VA) recounting Smith's presentations to the students, Smith was quoted:
I’ve always loved to read, and Langston Hughes was one of the early influences on my life,” Smith explained. “His poem ‘My People’ has few words so I focused on facial expressions. I took the pictures in black and white and used a sepia tone. I think the simplicity of the poem is able to come through in the pictures.

Charles R Smith Jr lives in Poughkeepsie. He's the author of over twenty books, most of them geared toward children, and his first novel "Chameleon" was released this past fall. Smith was also a contributed items ( here and here) to the Beacon Dispatch when it existed in print form.
The book signing is taking place at the Barnes and Noble on Rte 9 (2518 South Rd) in Poughkeepsie at 1pm.

No comments: