Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

Super Soaker Second Saturday- March 8 2008

A torrential downpour at 7pm had me gearing up with slicker, rubbers and such for my trek along Main St. However, by the time I left the house fifteen minutes later, the rain had stopped permanently, and we were left with a dry but gusty evening for the vernissageago-go.

Below is a sampling of images taken at the various sites I stopped in. There will be some more posted on maykr's flickr page - just give me a few more days.
Above: folks at Fovea Exhibitions Beacon Gallery(I'm tempted to begin implementing an abbreviation for typing purposes) for Palani Mohan's opening of photographs documenting the interactions of man and elephant in Asia. Below: Palani Mohan.

I started at Fovea where I sadly learned from Kirsten Kucer of the recent death of Walter Castle. I'll do a separate post on this soon, but I can hardly imagine a Second Saturday without the ubiquitous Walter.
Black and White: an invitational exhibit of artwork that fits that bill at bau.


Terry Micheal's photographs at Mt. Beacon Fine Art.


From Fovea, I stopped into bau which had an appealing salon -style installation of b/w work. I really didn't examine any individual pieces. I rather enjoyed the overall effect. Mt Beacon Fine Art opened an exhibit of Terry Micheal's photographs printed on canvas.
I ventured on passed Iron Fish Trading Co. where passersby were treated to a silent storefront screening of Austin Powers.
Mark Roland's feature presentation at Iron Fish.


Sometimes I just inadvertantly miss things, and this weekend two such things were: A. spacing out on the opening at Ann St. Gallery in Newburgh of "Women's Work" featuring Nina Katchadourian, Elizabeth Mackie,Kathy Moss, Andréa Stanislav, and Kazumi Tanaka and B. Beacon Institute's opening of Leigh Wen's water paintings. One of Leigh's paintings is on the cover on this month's Chronogram. I was intrigued by the cover image, but I never read the accompanying piece. Anyway, the gallery was closed by the time I passed by, but there's plenty of time to catch the exhbit as it's running through July 8. Women's Work will be on exhibit at Ann St. Gallery through April 19.

Lou Patrou's prints at Pearldaddy.

I spent some time speaking with Pearldaddy proprietor Andrea and artist Lou Patrou whose prints are on view there. One of Lou's drawings is featured in Chronogram's Parting Shot this month.


I then stopped into the bCOOP space which was quiet, but it seemed some dj action was about to get going.
Above and below: artwork at bCOOP (specific artwork details to come shortly)
On to Jeff Caramagna's boldy hued paintings at Go North. I dig much of this work, particularly the volcano and cactus paintings. There's a level of rawness within the seemingly clean flatness that exudes a liveliness. When paired with Erica Hauser's homemade truck cookies of two months ago, Jeff's color coordinated, custom printed M&M's are setting a precedent for Go North's exhibition-themed treats that can only result in disappointment (for this writer,at least) at the first exhibition with no such accompaniment.
Above and below: Jeff Caramagna at Go North.



Above: Open Space's steamy window with mobile installation by Patrick Winfield.
Below: a few folks at Open Space.


A detail of one of Patrick Winfield's poloroid photomontages.

I was expecting this Second Saturday would coincide as it has in years past with the annual, City Council-contested Pub Crawl, which is actually happening next year. Actually the two events parallel each other in many respects, and in fact I did witness a bit of curbside vomiting rounding the bend on the East End. I don't think this nausea of art opening related, I just hope Jacqueline didn't find an unpleasant surprise in front of her store on Sunday.

Open Space still had a crowd as the opening for Patrick Winfield wound down and preparations were being made to move the party over to the Piggy Bank. Check out Open Space's opening pics. The crowd at Zahra's spilled out onto the sidewalk as usual, and maneuvering inside was difficult for fear of being impailed on any errant spikey protrusians on the walls or other people's attire.

Above and below: Zahra Studio's take on "kinetic art". Barbara Doherty's leather
and rubber Primitive Occult Adornments.


Above and below: Kulan part 2 at Hermitage.

Hermitage, inviting as usual, sported new works from the collaborative efforts of Jon Beacham and Kensie Duffy.
Earlier, as I passed by the now closed Chthonic Clash, I was surpised by a partially blocked window, a large projection inside and cryptic flyers pasted to the window. I headed back over there after leaving Hermitage. In what turned out to be the highlight of the evening, Shawn Trail and John Cason transformed the former coffee joint into a transy-lounge/audiovisual meditation. The guys created a collaborative video and audio piece called Special Treatment. The setup consisted of two separate screens, forming different viewing spaces for the two unsync'd versions of the forty minute piece. I can't quite describe the soundtrack of ambient and rythmic noises and music because it was so enveloping. The imagery was at times abstract flourishes of light and color and at times visuals of city scapes and the activites therein. There was a short section depicting a window washer moving between windows, doing his job in double time that mesmerized me somehow. There was just a trickle of folks that came in through the evening, and the guys didn't do much to promote it, but I could have sat there all night. Part of the appeal of the installation, beside the entirely comfortable atmosphere of the scene was that this piece was happening - utilizing a space that currently (unfortunately) is without a use at the moment. The fact that this location is in a sort of commercial-use limbo, sitting dormant and this piece filled that void with art for a short time is what much of it is about for me - the Use and re-Use of our home environs to share what we do with each other.
Special Treatment by John Cason and Shawn Trail at Chthonic.

I stopped in briefly at the Next Step Party at the Piggy Bank, watched Dan Weise and Tom Moore do a little live painting while the DJ's spun and took the long walk back home.

Tom Moore and Dan Weise at the Next Step at the Piggy Bank.

On the walk home: after just short of a year, the restaurant Tonique has closed its doors.

No comments: