Pages

Sunday, October 07, 2007

walk on.

Final days at Concentric Gallery in September.



I took a walk along Main St a couple of weekends ago. It's not something I get to do often as of late. I had made it out to September's Second Saturday for only about half an hour, before my anxiety about some unfinished work sitting back in the studio drove me back in to work. I managed to only stop into the inaugural opening of MJ Art at 177 Main, and then press my face against the window at bau, which was closed, to see Gary O'Connor's piece sitting in the dark.


So I took two weeks before I got around to any other joints. I stopped in to Mount Beacon Fine Art at 155 Main St. which also just opened in September and spoke to the owner, Eileen Mctiernan. She explained that she is directing the gallery toward featuring work by young artists who have little or no exhibition experience and allow them to develop their chops. The gallery is open during the week, and Eleanor plans to teach classes to help support the exhibitions.

Around the bend and up the block, I saw a sign in a paper covered window at 181 Main saying that later this year, an artist collaboration called Gallery 181 will be opening in the space. Later online, I found this listing of the gallery here. I called the number listed for information, but as of yet, I haven't heard back.


When I stopped into Van Brunt, Carl told me about Open Space which also opened in September. I went down and spoke one of the owners, Daniel Weise. During a stint of a couple of years in Denver, Daniel started an art and literary magazine called sherbert. the gallery's location will also serve as workroom and headquarters for the magazine and other the Thundercut art and design studio. The gallery's website states the mission of the space as:

The gallery will primarily explore the intersection of contemporary art and
underground culture. Exhibiting artists with a wide range of influences
including street culture, urban environments, independent music, architecture,
graphic design, zines, illustration and pop culture. By challenging each artist
to use the entire gallery space for their exhibitions and to explore alternative
methods of presentation, OPEN SPACE looks forward to offering a truly unique and
unexpected gallery experience to it's visitors.



An artist discussion by Open Space's current exhibiting artist Michael De Feo on Saturday, Oct 13, at 5pm.

Saturday, Oct 13 9pm - 1am, @ the Piggy Bank


Open Space, along with the Piggy Bank, and Beacon Art Supply will be hosting the Second Saturday After Party on Sept 13, from 9pm - 1am at the Piggy Bank, 448 Main St.

Finally, I stopped in to Kate Rogovin's Concentric Gallery which was in its final days. Kate opened the storefront space in 2004. Ready for a change and a chance to get deep into the studio, she has closed the doors of Concentric and has now taken a studio space in Ron Sauer's building, and she is excited to begin some new weaving and metalwork and focus on that work in a way she wasn't able to while also minding the shop.
Change is good.

No comments: